NVSL Swim News & Information
Two Relays On Fire In Week Five Heat WaveSat, 7-23-2016 | Paul Parry
With the final opportunity to swim as a relay this season, two teams took advantage, setting league records under the hot July sun.
At Chesterbrook today, the home pool's 9-10 Girls 100m Medley Relay team of Patricia Leonard, Eli Leonard, Keira Gutierrez and Madie Turley swam 1:07.34, besting the previous NVSL record of 1:07.70 set by Highlands Swim in 2015.
Meanwhile, the Fairfax 11-12 Boys 100m Medley Relay continued their record assault at Langley, touching in 59.90. Justin Singletary, Justin Connors, Christopher Dobrydney and Graham Evers broke their own record of 1:00.16 set on 7/9/2016. They finish the season owning both the A-Meet Medley and Carnival Medley meter records, and have set league records an amazing four times this season.
Nine All-Star Relay Teams Swim Faster Than NVSL RecordsFri, 7-22-2016 | Paul Parry
Near-perfect weather at Greenbriar Pool on Wednesday set the stage for ultra-fast swims, as nine teams at All-Star Relays touched the wall faster than any in NVSL history. Three of those teams, however, only finished second in their event! The outstanding swims came in the following events:
- Mixed Age Boys Relay
- John Schaefer, Jackson Steider, Joseph Schaefer and David Herbert of Wakefield Chapel touched in 1:50:53, but they weren't as fast as Johnny Bradshaw, Ryan Bradshaw, Alexander Montano and Chase Bradshaw of Hamlet, who finished in 1:50.34. The previous record was 1:50.65, set by Chesterbrook in 2013.
- Girls 13-14 Medley Relay
- The Vienna Aquatic team of Darby Galbraith, Anna Keating, Anna Sullivan and Tess Wilhelm destroyed Tuckahoe's 2007 record of 2:07.52, touching in 2:04.41.
- Girls 15-18 Medley Relay
- Suzanne Dolan, Kayle Park, Eleanor Ridgeway and Katherine Lundy of Overlee finished in 2:00.14, just under their own record of 2:00.21, set last week.
- Girls 11-12 Freestyle Relay
- The McLean girls (Olivia Tennant, Victoria Valko, Kaitlyn Helfrich and Natalia Rongione) beat their own 2015 mark of 55.03, swimming 54.77, yet they finished behind the Overlee team (Katherine Bailey, Elyse Hartmann, Sophie Yoder and Emilia Ridgeway), who touched in 54.22.
- Boys 11-12 Freestyle Relay
- The very next event also featured the two fastest swims in league history, with Rutherford's Gabriel Rupar, Tate Hoffman, Niko Sanchez and Aiken Do out-touching Fairfax's Justin Connors, Christopher Dobrydney, Graham Evers and Justin Singletary, 53.26 to 53.71. The Fairfax boys had held the previous record of 53.83 for just one week.
- Girls 13-14 Freestyle Relay
- The Mosby Woods team of Eleanor Monnig, Alexandra Martschenko, Sara Tuo and Leaya Ma swam fast enough to set the new mark of 1:54.92, bettering Crosspointe's 1:54.98, from 2015.
Congratulations to all swimmers!
- Mixed Age Boys Relay
Three More Records Fall in Week FourSat, 7-16-2016 | Paul Parry
At his home pool today, Johnny Bradshaw of Hamlet crushed the 11-12 Boys 50m Breast NVSL record, touching in 33.07, more than a second faster than Adi Kambhampaty's 34.21 set in 2014.
Also today, Tommy Hallock from Fox Mill Woods broke not one, but two league records at the 25 yard pool at Holmes Run Acres. Hallock swam the 15-18 Boys 50 Y Free in 21.48, beating an 18-year-old record of 22.10 set in 1998 by Chris Lengle of AF. He followed up this achievement just a short time later by breaking another record in the 15-18 Boys 50 Y Back with a time of 24.67. The prior record of 25.19 was set in 1999 by Greg Landrum of SRA.
Hot Carnival Night Ends With Seven League RecordsFri, 7-15-2016 | Paul Parry
The rains held off on Wednesday night in NoVA, and the relay teams took advantage with some fantastic record-breaking swims.
At the Division 1 Carnival at Chesterbrook, five NVSL records were set:
1) The Highlands Swim Mixed Age Girls 200m Free Relay (Bridget O’Shaughnessy, Courtney Watts, Allison Martin, and Xenia de Cazotte) touched in 1:55.09 . The previous record was 1:56.80 held by McLean from last year.
2) The Overlee 15-18 Girls 200m Medley Relay (Suzanne Dolan, Kayle Park, Ellie Ridgeway, and Katherine Lundy) finished in 2:00.21, crushing the old record of 2:01.23 set by Orange Hunt last year.
3) The Chesterbrook 13-14 Boys 200m Free Relay (Ollie Bernasek, Andrew Bernstein, Nick Spicer, and Adi Kambhampaty) swam a 1:44.09, beating the previous record of 1:44.40 held by Fairfax since last July.
4) The Overlee 15-18 Girls 200m Free Relay doubled up their Medley record by touching in 1:49.44, destroying the old record of 1:51:22 set by Donaldson Run back in 2006.
5) The Overlee 15-18 Boys 200m Free Relay (Sam Ellison, Jonathan Day, Nick Pasternak, and Ryan Baker) followed up a couple minutes after the Overlee Girls, finishing the meet with a 1:37.73, breaking the previous record of 1:37.92 set by Highlands Swim in 2009.
At the Division 3 Carnival at Lee Graham, the 11-12 Fairfax Boys (Justin Singletary, Justin Connors, Christopher Dobrydney and Graham Evers) also had a record-breaking double, finishing the 100m Medley in 59.18 and the 100m Free in 53.83. The old records were 59.76 and 54.43 set by Chesterbrook in 2012 and 2014, respectively.
- More News